The Hasturian Campaign
Inquisitors are the divine servants of Lady Justice. They investigate crimes against the church and crimes committed by members of the church or religious orders. They are tireless seekers of truth and justice. Seen by some to be cold and inflexible, they insure the purity of the divine.
They serve as investigators, adjudicators, and, when necessary, enforcers of church law. They all follow a strict set of rules. They must be lawful, but may be evil, neutral, or good.
SPELLS: At 1st level the inquisitor gains the ability to cast divine spells. At 1st level the inquisitor can cast 2 zero level spells. At 2nd level they may cast 3 zero level spells. At 3rd level they use the spells per day chart as a 1st level cleric. Use the cleric spell chart at two levels below the level of the inquisitor from then on. They have their own separate lists of spells (see below)
FIND TRUTH (Wisdom): The inquisitor is very skilled in distinguishing truth from untruth. When he asks a question and receives a reply, he can tell, with an appropriate Wisdom check, whether that person has lied to him or not. At 4th level this increases to a divine magical level allowing the inquisitor to use the spell Discern Lies 1x per day. This increases to 2x day at 8th level and 3x a day at 12th level.
CASE SUSPECT (Wisdom): Using this ability, the inquisitor is able to find information about a specific person, by detailed observation, and deductive reasoning. A inquisitor must spend 1d3x10 minutes observing his suspect before a check is allowed. A successful check results in knowledge of the approximate level of the person, distinguishing habits and mannerisms, approximate wealth, whether he seems nervous or is acting suspiciously and other details that the GM might see fit to provide.
SEARCH (Wisdom): The inquisitor is very good at finding clues and evidence from a thorough search of a body or an area, like a room or the crime scene. Whenever the inquisitor is actively searching, he gains an additional +2 bonus. This bonus goes up to +3 at 4th level and, +4 at 8th level and +5 at 12th level.
DISPENSE JUSTICE: The inquisitor is an appointed legal representative of the church’s justice. At 6th level, the character is authorized to administer church justice. This is limited to fines, excommunication, public demands, etc. The inquisitor does have the ability to call for imprisonment and/or execution of members of the clergy. This does NOT give them the ability to call for imprisonment or execution of non-clergy unless that power is given to them by the local government authority.
HUNCH: At 8th level, the inquisitor is so skilled at his investigations that he gains an almost psychic insight into what happened. Once per day, the inquisitor can receive a clue or a lead that will aid his investigation in some way, if he is stuck. He can ask two such questions at 12th level.
PRIME ATTRIBUTES: Wisdom
HIT DICE: d8
WEAPONS: long sword, bows, club, dagger, hand axe, hammer, long sword,
mace, rapier, short sword, scimitar, staff.
ABILITIES: Find truth, Case suspect, Search, Dispense Justice, Hunch, Spells
1. Acolyte – In training
2. Inquirer – Begin investigations under supervision of Investigator.
3. Assayer – Allowed own investigations of petty crimes, moral shortcomings.
4. Examiner – Investigate serious crimes.
5. Investigator – Investigate capital crimes, threats to church.
6. Analyst – Special investigations (demonology, murder of clergy)
7. Inquisitor – Can pass judgments – only level that can investigate higher level Templars.
8. Inspector – Review Inquisitor work, assigns investigations
9. Auditor – Investigate other inquisitors.
10. Grand Inquisitor – Final level of appeal. One per province in Seracia, per city state in Ceylon, and 1 in Hastur.
0 Level Spells
1. CREATE WATER Creates 2 gallons/level of pure water.
2. DETECT CHAOS/ EVIL/ GOOD/ LAW* Reveals aura of creatures, spells or objects
3. DETECT MAGIC Detects magical aura and its strength along 50 ft. path.
4. DETECT POISON Detects poison in one creature or small object.
5. ENDURE ELEMENTS Protection from natural elements and weather.
6. FIRST AID Bandages bleeding wound.
7. LIGHT Object shines like a torch.
8. PURIFY FOOD AND DRINK Purifies 1 cu. ft./level of food or water.
1st Level Spells
1. ALARM Wards an area and alerts caster to intruders.
2. COMMAND Subjects obey one-word command for 1 round.
3. DETECT SECRET DOORS Reveals hidden doors within 60 ft.
4. DETECT SNARES AND PITS Reveals natural or primitive traps.
5. DETECT SECRET DOORS Reveals hidden doors within 60 ft.
6. HOLD PORTAL Holds door shut
7. PASS WITHOUT TRACE Subject leaves no tracks or scent.
8. PROTECTION FROM CHAOS, EVIL, GOOD OR LAW +2 AC and saves, plus other defences
9. READ MAGIC Read magic texts.
10. REMOVE FEAR Protects from fear; grants new save vs fear.
11. SANCTUARY Opponents can’t attack the caster.
12. SHIELD OF FAITH Aura grants +2 bonus to AC and saves.
2nd level spells
1. AID +1 to hit, +1 on saves against fear, 1d8 temporary hit points.
2. AUGURY Learns whether an action will be good or bad.
3. COMPREHEND LANGUAGES Understands spoken and written languages.
4. DELAY POISON Stops poison from harming subject for 1 hour/level.
5. DETECT THOUGHTS*Allows “listening” to surface thoughts.
6. DETECT TRAPS Reveals traps along a path 50 ft. long.
7. HOLD PERSON Holds one person helpless; 1 round/level
8. LESSER RESTORATION Dispels attribute damage effects for one attribute.
9. REMOVE PARALYSIS Frees one creature from paralyzing effects or slow spell.
10. SEE INVISIBILITY Reveals invisible creatures or objects.
11. SILENCE Negates sound in 15 ft. radius.
12. SPEAK WITH DEAD Corpse answers questions.
3rd Level Spells
1. CONTINUAL FLAME Makes a permanent, heatless flame.
2. CREATE FOOD AND WATER* Feeds three humans (or one horse)/level.
3. DETECT CHARM
4. NEUTRALIZE POISON
5. DISPEL MAGIC Cancels magical spells and effects.
6. DISCERN LIES* Reveals deliberate falsehoods.
7. GLYPH OF WARDING Inscription harms those who pass it.
8. LOCATE OBJECT* Senses direction toward object (specific or type).
9. MAGIC CIRCLE (Against Chaos, Evil, Good, Law) As 10 ft radius protection spell.
10. REMOVE BLINDNESS OR DEAFNESS* Cures subject.
11. REMOVE CURSE* Frees person or object from curses.
12. TONGUES* Speak any language.
4th level Spells
1. DISMISSAL Forces a creature to return to native plane.
2. DISPEL MAGIC Cancels magical spells and effects.
3. DIVINATION Provides useful advice for specific proposed actions.
4. EMOTION Arouses strong emotion in subject.
5. FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT Moves normally despite impediments.
6. HALLOW* Designates location as holy with array of effects.
7. LOCATE CREATURE Indicates direction to individual/type of creature.
8. RESTORATION* Restores drained level and attribute reducing effects.
9. SCRYING Spies on subject from a distance.
10. SENDING Delivers short message to creature anywhere, instantly.
5th Level Spells
1. ATONEMENT Removes burden of misdeeds from subject.
2. COMMUNE Deity answers one yes-or-no question/level.
3. DEATH WARD Grants immunity to death spells and effects.
4. DISPEL CHAOS, EVIL, GOOD, LAW* Grants +4 AC and dispel one spell.
5. DREAM Sends message to anyone sleeping.
6. ETHEREAL JAUNT The caster becomes ethereal for 1 round/ level.
7. PASSWALL Creates temporary passages through walls.
8. PLANE SHIFT Up to eight subjects travel to another plane.
9. TRUE SEEING See all things as they really are.
10. WALL OF FORCE Wall, sphere, or hemisphere is immune to damage.
6th Level Spells
1. ANTI–ILLUSION SHIELD Negates illusions within 10 ft.
2. BANISHMENT Banishes 2 HD/level extraplanar creatures.
3. BLADE BARRIER Blades encircling the caster deal 12d6 damage.
4. FIND THE PATH* Shows most direct way to a location.
5. GEAS Forces creature to fulfil a quest.
6. GLOBE OF INVULNERABILITY Stops 1st to 4th level spell effects.
7. LEGEND LORE Learn tales about a person, place, or thing.
8. STONE TELL Talk to natural or worked stone.
9. WIND WALK The caster and the caster’s allies turn vaporous and travel fast.
10. WORD OF RECALL Teleports the caster back to designated place.
7th Level Spells
1. AWE Enemies suffer loss of 1 in each attribute, loss of primes
2. GREATER RESTORATION Restores all levels and attribute losses.
3. GREATER SCRYING As scrying, but faster and longer.
4. HOLY WORD* Kills, paralyzes, blinds, or deafens non-good subjects.
5. PHASE DOOR Invisible passage through wood or stone.
6. REFUGE Alters item to transport its possessor to the caster.
7. REGENERATE Subject’s severed limbs grow back.
8. REPULSION Creatures can’t approach the caster.
8th Level Spells
1. ANTILIFE SHELL 10 ft. field hedges out living creatures.
2. ANTIMAGIC SHELL Creates mobile sphere that negates magic.
3. BINDING Array of techniques to imprison a creature.
4. DISCERN LOCATION* Learn exact location of creature or object.
5. HOLY AURA* +4 AC and saves, SR 16 against evil spells and more.
7. SUMMON PLANAR ALLY Divinely calls allies up to 16 HD.
8. SYMBOL Triggered runes have array of effects.
9th Level Spells
1. ANTIPATHY* Object or location attracts/ repels certain creatures.
2. ASTRAL PROJECTION Projects the caster & companions into astral plane.
3. ENERGY DRAIN Subject loses 2d4 levels.
4. GATE Connects two planes for travel or summoning.
5. SOUL BIND Traps newly dead soul to prevent resurrection.
6. TRAP THE SOUL Imprisons subject within gem.